It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:09 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:12 am 

I was able to run URU Live Beta in WINE.

Me standing in Relto:
ftp://wheely:[email protected]/Tiran/ ... _wine1.jpg

Relto with some image bugs. You can see the fissure although I haven't finished a single age with the char:
ftp://wheely:[email protected]/Tiran/ ... _wine2.jpg

Nexus with city book:
ftp://wheely:[email protected]/Tiran/ ... _wine3.jpg

Ferry terminal:
ftp://wheely:[email protected]/Tiran/ ... _wine5.jpg

More ferry terminal:
ftp://wheely:[email protected]/Tiran/ ... _wine6.jpg

I've compiled the latest developer version of WINE (wine-0.9.24-g06566a5) under Kubuntu Edgy Eft (2.6.17-10-generic, xorg 7.1.1, binary NVidia drivers 1.0.8776). Uru is running inside a virtual desktop. The mouse cursor is broken as well as the icons for Relto, KI, config and exit. The graphics is slow with aprox. 10 to 20 frames per second and the sound is crude, too. But it works! :)

Tiran:

PS: No, it's not Aqua. Although the window frame may look like Mac OS X I'm running KDE + Baghira.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:27 am 

Congratulations!

While I doubt anyone would want to play it like that, the fact it works at all is a good step in the right direction :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:34 am 

A tip o' the Fedora to you Tiran :lol:

I remember the first time I got Doom running in Slackware-- thrill of a lifetime :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good job :D

"Things are not what they used to be -- and they never were." Will Rogers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Whilst it is impressive, and WINE (and WINEX) have done their part in bringing users over to Linux. I can't help but feel that thunking software will ultimately discourage software developers from writing good cross-platform code or just native clients for various OSs.

My comments are not meant to undermine your effort. I just prefer the benefits of native clients, and the support of all viable OSs :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:26 pm 

yibble wrote:
Whilst it is impressive, and WINE (and WINEX) have done their part in bringing users over to Linux. I can't help but feel that thunking software will ultimately discourage software developers from writing good cross-platform code or just native clients for various OSs.

My comments are not meant to undermine your effort. I just prefer the benefits of native clients, and the support of all viable OSs :)

Blame M$ for creating their on standards instead of pushing a cross platform OpenGL based solution.

Writing a native client for Mac and Linux is far too expansive for Cyan. They are going to stick with solutions like TransGaming. I second your opinion but we have to be realistic. It's a shame :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:45 pm 

I'm in the process of trying it out now. At the time of writing, it is "Updating Uru".

System Specs:

os - Kubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06.1
kernel - Linux 2.6.15.7-ubuntu1-vultopia i686 (custom build)
cpu - 1 x AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2000+ @ 1.63GHz
memory - 756MB
video card - nVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 (64mb)
sound - YMF724F - Yamaha DS-XG (YMF724F)

WINE version is: 0.9.24 - I plan on grabbing the latest dev version later on.

KI #00449231

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's really encouraging, Tiran!
I have tried a couple of times to get Uru Live to run in a VM under VMWare/Windows but no joy. You inspire me to keep trying, "just because I can" and also, I am very discouraged at Micro$oft's draconian approach to Vista. They are going in entirely the wrorg direction, IMHO. We should be moving toward MORE openness, not less.

In point of fact, with Open Office, Thunderbird, and FireFox, about the only thing that keeps me from going completely over to Linux is the Myst-related games!

Walt

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:53 pm 

walt_scrivens wrote:
That's really encouraging, Tiran!
I have tried a couple of times to get Uru Live to run in a VM under VMWare/Windows but no joy. You inspire me to keep trying, "just because I can" and also, I am very discouraged at Micro$oft's draconian approach to Vista. They are going in entirely the wrorg direction, IMHO. We should be moving toward MORE openness, not less.

In point of fact, with Open Office, Thunderbird, and FireFox, about the only thing that keeps me from going completely over to Linux is the Myst-related games!

Walt

Same here, Walt.

That, and since I do plan to make software that runs on Windows, OS X, and Linux, I need Windows to test the stuff. (And now I'll need *blech* Vista)

KI #00449231

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:06 pm 

Samui wrote:

Code:
# git is not Linus' git but GNU interactive tools
$ sudo apt-get install git-core cogito fontforge
# you might want to install a subset or all of wines build dependencies, especially dev packages as alsa-dev x11*-dev ...
$ sudo apt-get build-dep wine

$ cd yourdevelopmentfolder
$ git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git wine
# get a cup of coffee, GIT is much slower than svn or cvs
$ cd wine
$ ./configure --config-cache
$ make depend
$ make
$ sudo make install

My update.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
set -e

git fetch
git rebase origin
./configure --config-cache
make depend
make

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:06 pm 

Tiran wrote:
Blame M$ for creating their on standards instead of pushing a cross platform OpenGL based solution.

How can you "blame MS" for that? Of course that is what they would do. Why would they make it easier for things to be ported to non-MS OSes? That's just not logical business -- so blaming them for keeping their business model intact doesn't make much sense.

That's like blaming Sony for not making their 1st-party PS2 games also run on the Xbox. Of course they don't -- because they want to push the platform. MS does the same thing, of course.

- John...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:27 pm 

I have to agree with jgoggan. I am certainly not a Microsoft "proponent", but I am a realist. And I disagree that Vista is a step in the reverse direction. Vista and Office 2007 are both much more open than previous versions of the products where they can be. There are aspects of Vista which are becoming tighter, but that's a good thing in my opinion. I have several Unix biggots (sorry, buddies) who keep telling me how unsecure Microsoft OSes are. The reason for it is because Microsoft was trying to allow developers more access than some feel they really should have.

It's really a balance that has to be reached between good business for them, large corporation customer support, private customer support, international considerations, security, developer ease of access, etc., etc. No, they aren't doing everything right, but I would give them some credit for some directions they are heading.

Sorry to rant. I get excited when people like Tiran think ahead and disappointed when others turn that into bashing sessions against Microsoft, Linux or whoever. Very few people truly want to see the big picture, but all of us seem to like to complain.

Kudos as always, Tiran, for your work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:32 pm 

I did manage to get it working, not using a virtual desktop. It worked almost perfectly, when I had it in fullscreen mode - with the glitches Tiran pointed out, about the sound and mouse being messed up.

I switched to Windowed mode, to make screenshots easier. But then it got p-o'd.

Login Screen:

ftp://ftp.cyan.com/samui/urulive_wine1.jpg ( 1152x864 )

Some glitch happened here where I could not type in the text boxes until I played with the checkbox. Could possibly be solved with virtual desktop.

Updating Screen:

ftp://ftp.cyan.com/samui/urulive_wine2.jpg ( 1280x960 )

The mouse is broken, and the "updating" text is borked.

Oops. You bwoke it:

ftp://ftp.cyan.com/samui/urulive_wine3.jpg ( 1280x960 )

This may or may not be related to being windowed. I'm going to try it again after I update WINE. If it breaks again, I'll try it fullscreen in a virtual desktop.

Other than that, this is quite exciting to see Uru Live running in WINE, even with a few glitches here and there.

( and maybe this might get me past the crippling fissure jump problem. hehe. )

KI #00449231

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:41 pm 

Has anyone tried running with wine under an XGL Beryl Desktop? I would be interested to know if it degrades the proformance even more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi Exial,

I run Beryl. I'll attempt to get a test up over the weekend. But, I also run Doom3 and Quake4 with Beryl. I've benchmarked with and without Beryl, and have found no substantial difference in performance.

I agree with the comments posted already, that OS bashing is not the way forward. MS has a traditional business model, and so therefore acts like a traditional company. Others have opted for different objectives, a different business model, and so therefore conduct themselves differently. It's down to each user to determine which OS best suits their needs, and which suppliers' ethics work within the user's ethics.

Thanks again.

Last edited by yibble on Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:57 pm 

Tiran wrote:
Samui wrote:

Code:
# git is not Linus' git but GNU interactive tools
$ sudo apt-get install git-core cogito fontforge
# you might want to install a subset or all of wines build dependencies, especially dev packages as alsa-dev x11*-dev ...
$ sudo apt-get build-dep wine

$ cd yourdevelopmentfolder
$ git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git wine
# get a cup of coffee, GIT is much slower than svn or cvs
$ cd wine
$ ./configure --config-cache
$ make depend
$ make
$ sudo make install

My update.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
set -e

git fetch
git rebase origin
./configure --config-cache
make depend
make

Thanks.

I'm looking for a way to get this to compile using distcc rather than gcc. I prefer to be able to use the power of all the computers in my network to compile stuff like this. :p

KI #00449231

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next