It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Fun House Mixology
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:23 am 
Obduction Backer

I visited the Fun House hood this afternoon and left with a present:

[spoiler=Holy Arch Nemesis, Batman!!!]Image[/spoiler]
The basic pathway was 1) link to Nexus and then to the Fun House; 2) link back to Relto; 3) link to Cleft; and 4) look at Arch and surrounding terrain and wonder what was going on.

I was able to duplicate this with another avatar, and I was able to bring the Arch to at least one other Age (Ercana). I repeated this (with my main avatar) until it finally stopped (after about 3 or 4 successful replications).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 am 

The command that causes clients to load data from other ages doesn't mark that data to be unloaded when you link out. There's really nothing we can do about this without modifying the actual client code, which of course we can't do currently.

If you want to actually explore after visiting TFH, the best thing to do is shutdown Uru and reload it. I suspect (but haven't actually tested) that logging out won't be enough - you need to actually quit the game.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:46 am 
Obduction Backer

I switched avatars and, if I recall correctly, it didn't affect the second avatar. It eventually stopped, although I haven't been back in to test it again. And I was unable to get the Arch and terrain in all Ages, although I may have just not been able to see them, I suppose.

I'm curious, though - is this something that's been affecting everyone but they just didn't mention or notice it? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:01 am 

Zardoz wrote:
I switched avatars and, if I recall correctly, it didn't affect the second avatar. It eventually stopped, although I haven't been back in to test it again. And I was unable to get the Arch and terrain in all Ages, although I may have just not been able to see them, I suppose.

I'm curious, though - is this something that's been affecting everyone but they just didn't mention or notice it? :shock:

Right, it will only be visible if you can actually see the Arch location from where you are in an age - and some ages are built in odd places in the 3D space. (that is, not near the origin)

Yes, it affects everyone. I guess they either don't notice or just assumed it was a side effect of TFH and moved on with their lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:14 am 
Obduction Backer

So, the next phase will be to beam Shroomie into the Fun House hood, and then he'll become my pet? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:55 am 

That pic looks very very cool :D

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:40 am 

Carl Palmner wrote:
That pic looks very very cool :D

I was actually quite confused for a bit. What did you think when it first happened?

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:24 pm 

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
The command that causes clients to load data from other ages doesn't mark that data to be unloaded when you link out.

Last night while exploring TFH I found myself thrown back to Relto, but with a phosphorescent glow -
I didn't realize at first and thought my monitor was failing when everything I approached turned green :shock:

Does this mean us mere mortals can deliberately choose to link out to Relto with a 'special effect' and take it with us?

Once I'd realised it was probably phantom fireflies it was quite good fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:54 pm 

You can take some effects, but not others.

Avatar adjustments and paged-in data should go with you anywhere. Fog changes will not, except to Myst (which doesn't define it's own fog)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wooooooah! O.O That's coooool!

I guess this could solve the problem of the "broken" KI light machine though-just hop to TFH, grab the light effect, and off you go! :D

KI#00149165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:20 pm 

LOL fun comments, and fun pics too, but I seriously doubt this was what CYAN had in mind.

A quote from RAWA:
Quote:
A few notes of clarification:
- "Cracking" (making unauthorized changes on the live server to any hood other than those specifically authorized for this purpose, or making any changes that are malicious in nature) is still against MOULa policy. Just don't do it.

I know it says "any hood".
If "steps will be taken" (™:wink:) I hope, it's not the ones in Ae'gura...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

EthanEver wrote:
LOL fun comments, and fun pics too, but I seriously doubt this was what CYAN had in mind.

A quote from RAWA:
Quote:
- "Cracking" (making unauthorized changes on the live server to any hood other than those specifically authorized for this purpose, or making any changes that are malicious in nature) is still against MOULa policy. Just don't do it.

I know it says "any hood".
If "steps will be taken" (™:wink:) I hope, it's not the ones in Ae'gura...

None of what has been described in this thread is either cracking or changes to other locations.

Some illusions stay with the CLIENT after you visit The Fun House. If someone chooses to visit other locations while those illusions are still in effect, they are not violating the rules. These illusions only effect those people who first visit TFH and cannot be seen by others.

Here's my update to RAWAs quote for clarity:
Quote:
- "Cracking" (making unauthorized changes on the live server to any age other than those specifically authorized for this purpose, or making any changes that are malicious in nature) is still against MOULa policy. Just don't do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:23 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Phend wrote:
cool. this is cool. i like green. we need colors. see the rock. he’s coming….man, we need colors. colors are cool. where is it? yeah, this….this is cool. black... see the colors? cool man….cool. i see trouble without colors. yeah man, yeah. colors... you see that cone? whoa. hey man did you see the colors? you see them? hey. cool. cool... my feet hurt

I think we've finally found a commonality to explain Phil Hendersen's bizarre behavior while visiting one of the hoods a few years ago (September 8, 2007) and seeings colors... and things... everywhere... It must be the same thing that caused him to babble on so. And the cone; maybe he saw a thirty-foot cone? No clue about the feet thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:53 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
No clue about the feet thing.

The fool walks around barefoot.. I mean I know the cavern was a city and all but there's literally no way his feet couldn't hurt with it being as long as it's been.... wandering around in a drunken stupor..

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:08 pm 

I know OHB, I know...
but I still don't think that that is what CYAN had in mind.
And, as an average player, I don't have to have the technical knowledge about what is going on or what 's making what work in the game. As the matter of fact, it would be "better" (more immersive) if I never knew. But now that I know... does that justify it?

Just for clarity's sake: I don't think anyone MEANT this to happen, and I DO think it is kinda cool to see the Arch in Ages where it doesn't belong to... but it's a bit too much if it cannot be controlled.

Oh and it's great to finally find out where Phend was coming from :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next