It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Picking up paper
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:03 am 

I think it would be good if you could pick up bits of paper. Currently you either have to take a screenshot of "Clues" which are written down on paper or you have to draw what you see on a bit of paper yourself. If you were actually there in real life you would just pick up the bits of paper and carry on your journey rather than making a copy.

Concept would be that once you have looked at something like a bit of paper with the D'ni Alphabet you could then access it from a bit at the bottom. To make it so that it doesn't give you an advantage by only storing actual clues it could store any bits of paper. That way you don't get an advantage on what is useful bits of information. Could also store Journals you find.

Note: Since there are people who like to make there own paper notes, there could be a "Hardcore" option which would disable any useful features which remove the need for writing stuff down yourself. This way features could be added to URU which the "Hardcores" don't like and they would have the option to disable them(Similar to how Myst 5 gives you 3 different control options).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:39 am 

I guess getting Relto pages is not what you consider picking up bits of paper?

One has to ask how the next player finds the clue after it has been picked up and carried away?

Also as more clues are found, one reaches a point where they have to manage their information inventory. Plus we are considering ways to add more journals and videos to relate Cyan and fan story in a fun way. The hope is more story will get told in fan ages. With loads of fan ages the information load could be come sizable.

The info inventory could be handled somehow (I have over 20,000 items in my SL inventory). But, the challenge then becomes whether what works for one works for all. I think that is why historically game designers have left that feature out. Some times an in-game screen capture saving to the player's local drive is included. But, it is up to the player to organize the information in a way that works for them.

The clue inventory is another task the age builders would be saddled with. The hooks for what objects are clues would have to be added to each age. It can be added and they might do the work. Programmers might change the core programming in CWE and MOSS to support it. But, most age builders and programmers have their own projects, so you need to be really convincing that it would make the game way better.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:17 am 

Nalates wrote:
I guess getting Relto pages is not what you consider picking up bits of paper?

Well, they go into your Relto book directly.

Nalates wrote:
One has to ask how the next player finds the clue after it has been picked up and carried away?

It wouldn't literally be picked up and removed from the world. You could technically make it so things you have "picked up" are no longer visible to you but are still visible to those who haven't.

One could argue about how it would be impossible for the ages to always be unsolved when someone else has previously come along and solved them.

Nalates wrote:
Also as more clues are found, one reaches a point where they have to manage their information inventory. Plus we are considering ways to add more journals and videos to relate Cyan and fan story in a fun way. The hope is more story will get told in fan ages. With loads of fan ages the information load could be come sizable.

Well, you could have multiple ways to organise the information(Selected via a dropdown box).

"All" - Show all items.

"By Age" - Where you select an age (Either a Dropdown box or a Listbox) and then only see the "Paper" you picked up in that age.

"By Type" - Where you would select via a dropdown either "Misc","Journals", "Videos", etc and then see a list of items based on what type they are.

Nalates wrote:
Some times an in-game screen capture saving to the player's local drive is included. But, it is up to the player to organize the information in a way that works for them.

I have always hated the ones Cyan implemented. You could never view the screenshots easily (They never let you view them full screen, so it was sometimes hard to make out detail in them). You could have it so that when you click on an object which can be looked at closer that there is a Camera Icon visible. When the camera is clicked it wouldn't take a screenshot but mark that item as one the player wants in his "Library"(Better word then inventory imo). When the player views that item in his "Library" it would appear on the screen just like it did when the player first viewed it in its original location except that the background would be the "Library" screen.

- Image 1 (You find a bit of paper and click the camera)
- Image 2 (You goto your "Library of Paper Thingys™")
- Image 3 (You selected the bit of paper you found earlier)

You could have it as an option to automatically add "Paper things" to your library or to have it set to manual. That way people who like to be able to view anything they have previously looked at without having to remember to "save" it would be able to, and those who only wanted to have ones they considered important could do it manually.

It shouldn't require extra scripting in the ages themselves as it would be tied to the engine code which displays that type of item (Which would shove a line in the database with that items name/texture/whatever when the user clicked on the camera).

Nalates wrote:
The clue inventory is another task the age builders would be saddled with. The hooks for what objects are clues would have to be added to each age. It can be added and they might do the work. Programmers might change the core programming in CWE and MOSS to support it. But, most age builders and programmers have their own projects, so you need to be really convincing that it would make the game way better.

I don't think there should ever be a system which specifies what are clues. My original idea was that anything which you could look at when you clicked on it could be picked up (Within reason anyway. Things like drawings, writings, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:53 pm 

I understand what Stucuk is saying, and I have to agree the ability to "pick up" certain documents would be helpful. I myself have taken pics or scribbled down things on a real piece of paper. The idea of an in-game journal is a valid one.

Relto pages are indeed picked up and placed in your Relto book, yet they remain for others to find. I would envision the same process to apply to this idea. Allow the player to organize the items in their own manner- provide tools for them to do this (folders, subfolders, etc.) and allow the individual to choose what method works for them, rather than forcing a structure which works well for some and not for others. Perhaps a template to start, but allow renaming and moving as the explorer sees fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
You do know that you can take a KI shot (not a screenshot) of these items, right? Although you can't access your KI while looking at the item, you can hit F5 to take a KI shot and it will be filed appropriately in the Age folder in which you took the shot. Of course, then there's the KI limitations and this method could fill it up pretty fast - especially once more ages begin being added to MOULa.

Anyhoo, I like your idea. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

that "other" neglected bookshelf in Relto is oddly void of anything but one semi helpful journal. in CC it had yeesha's remarks on the DRC journey and all the watcher's pub journals and the watcher's journal itself (which have been moved to watcher's pub for public viewing) in addition to the journal that's there now *and* a personal journal for explorers. online the Ki's note function can serve as note taking and "ki-mail" but adding a journal option to the pop up menu would be a worthwhile endevor imo.

actually, what i always thought would make sense, is for the other bookshelf in relto to be updated not with linking books but with journals as players find them and read updated entries. copies of the books along with any additional material players have viewed would be added to that shelf (and perhaps with a quaint lil desk players could sit at while reading for cosmetic appearances?)

what i'd also like to see is giving tabs to the relto book to allow us to flip directly to a relto page (or perhaps determine favorites) instead of having to flip to the one we want one page at a time. uru has alot of pages as it, it can take a full min or more especially under lag to flip from the start of a completed relto book to the last. with fan made relto pages the number is only going to increase. the pages i often enable/disable just happen to be located near the back of the book, so being able to flip directly to a relto page would be a convient development.

i really liked how image capture and note taking was handled in Myst IV. images were stored in the journal and players could add captions or enter notes on blank pages but adding the ability to insert or even copy captured images elsewhere in a journal would be convient for whatever purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:26 pm 

Theremin wrote:
Allow the player to organize the items in their own manner- provide tools for them to do this (folders, subfolders, etc.)

I think subfolders would be overkill, but i do agree that making it as customisable as possible would be a great benefit.

Tai'lahr wrote:
You do know that you can take a KI shot (not a screenshot) of these items, right? Although you can't access your KI while looking at the item, you can hit F5 to take a KI shot and it will be filed appropriately in the Age folder in which you took the shot. Of course, then there's the KI limitations and this method could fill it up pretty fast - especially once more ages begin being added to MOULa.

While there is the ability to take screenshots it isn't upto the job in my oppinion. Because the screenshots can not be shown in fullscreen they are as a result just in a small box, which means that it can be hard to make out whats in the image. Which is why i believe its better to have it so that you see the actual item as it is ingame (Like in the 3rd Example Image in my previous post) so that you can see it in all its full detail. It also seems a waste to me for the game to take a screenshot when it can just show you the original resource in its full glory.

Granted you would still need screenshots to capture clues which are in the actual geometry of Ages.

Main_Avvie wrote:
what i'd also like to see is giving tabs to the relto book to allow us to flip directly to a relto page (or perhaps determine favorites) instead of having to flip to the one we want one page at a time.

I think an index page would be best. The problem with "Bookmarks" is that you can get to a stage where you have too many. But with an index page it doesn't matter how many categories there are.

So you could have one bookmark that sticks out of the Relto (and anything else which has enough pages) which gets you back to the index. You could in theory make it customisable by allowing people to modify what pages are in each category(as well as adding/deleting/renaming categories).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]