It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Myst for the classroom?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Nobody else has run into this?

http://www.prweb.com/releases/idoodleso ... 632122.htm

"idoodlesoftware inc., an education software company offering innovative solutions to bridge the gap between traditional and digital learning, announced that it has signed an exclusive, global licensing agreement with Cyan Worlds, Inc. to bring the award winning MYST franchise, and other titles, to the classroom."

(I caught it from Eleri's twitter stream.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nice catch, haven't seen this before, interesting. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Going into my freshman year as an elementary and special ed major, this got me all excited and bubbly this morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Myst has been well known for its use in educational settings. Myst was instrumental in providing an example of how video games could have practical merits. It is good to see that after all this time Myst is still regarded as an educational tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:59 pm 

And URU is even better; having a bunch of kids exploring the cavern together with you (the teacher which happens to be me :D) makes the days at work fun! The kids love it and they learn so much, cooperation, language, math etc etc without knowing it! They write with pleasure when having to describe their journeys. And now I forsee a new generation uruites :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's great to hear from a teacher...I was a wee lass when my dad introduced me to the Myst stories and then the URU community,,,I didn't realize it at that time but now that I'm of age I see how much it helped me in a lot of different areas of my life growing up :D

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

In addition to skills like that, you can also teach children to love pushing buttons!

<3 Elevators

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Myst and URU brings out the button pushing elevator riding adolescent in us all :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:07 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm wondering if this means they'll be setting up separate URU game servers for the schools, or letting the schools set up their own? And with the advent of the open source capability, specific educational areas can now be added. This is one of the things I've been advocating for some time now. :wink:

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

That would certainly be cool, however with the no gaming policies that I'm sure many schools have (outside of educational games of course), it'll be interesting for the group to sell the service to schools. Sure, they could classify it as educational, but is it really?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

tanshin wrote:
That would certainly be cool, however with the no gaming policies that I'm sure many schools have (outside of educational games of course), it'll be interesting for the group to sell the service to schools. Sure, they could classify it as educational, but is it really?

Guess that depends on what you can convince school boards and parents of. This approach sure does have the benefit of getting students engaged and interested but you must have results from it. If learning improves as a result, who are most sensible people to complain. Unfortunately video games are still looked upon as a frivolous activity yet my teachers have used movies and films as teaching material time and again. It's time that changes for video games and they be seen and used as more than just an entertainment medium. The trick is convincing people that this be so and Myst and Uru have done a pretty decent job of that so far...

I suppose the biggest issue is money. I wonder what the general cost is for setting up and maintaining a server and creating content, etc. If a school were to do that they might not find it worth the expenditure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is absolutely great and wonderful news, thanks a lot, dearest belford and Eleri indirectly,
for passing this on to us here ... This makes me very happy... :D

They've always had a special talent and inner passion to produce purposeful, profound and
also hilariously entertaining and esp. as such educational virtual environments for the children ...
They forgot to mention the very beautiful SPELUNX btw...

They describe it very nicely :
Quote:
Academic research has repeatedly shown that the use of video games in the classroom reengages
students in learning. And MYST is the perfect video game to integrate into our new educational software,
because of the way it combines non-violent, non-aggressive exploration and puzzle solving with beautiful
artwork scenes, making it appealing to both students and teachers. ...

“By augmenting the traditional classroom lesson with fun, collaborative and educational games, students
have the ability to learn at their own pace, both at school or at home..."

said Robert Sowah, Chief Executive Officer of idoodlesoftware inc.

As I understand it
Quote:
"idoodlesoftware is currently developing several new products based on the Cyan portfolio, which will be
released in the near future"

idoodlesoftware will produce software with Cyan 'stuff' integrated in a way that correlates with their own idea
of being an effective and valuable educational software or virtual environment ... So, I believe this is not about
playing Myst or Uru like we all do right away... Can't wait to see what they'll be coming up with... :)

This all seems to me like they, Cyan Worlds, are heading in a direction which has always been 'theirs' and I'm
crossing my fingers and I'm confident that their perseverence and dedication, their generosity, open-mindedness
and open-heartedness will pay off at long last ... and this might be just the beginning ... then there is the very
promising Myst Movie 'underway' ... Yeah, Cyan!!! Way to go!!! You all sooo deserve it ... Much Blessings ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:43 pm 

I remember in Middle school I was part of the Gifted and Talented program. As part of the program's curriculum, We played Riven (in a competition setting) Each student played the game, kept a journal, and was not allowed to use any walkthroughs. The first 20 students to finish recieved extra credit. The game taught us to observe our surroundings more as well as think outside the box. We were, in essence, also using the scientific method to solve problems to solve the game. I was student 15 to finish (playing 5 days a week for 45 minutes a day for 5 and a half months)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:47 am 

I think this could be good for Cyan...hopefully :!:

LAHI

KI# 00270844
"...there is always more than one way to skin a reekoo" - Aitrus, BoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:41 am 

Gee wiz the only computer they had when I was in school was an abacus,

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared