It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Did Someone Say.....?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:30 am 

Noticed that someone mentioned Fan Ages being done in other game engines, and saw Unreal and CryEngine mentioned.

So I couldn't resist, however, some of the images and video I'd love to share with you, I need to wait until I hear back from Tony and Cyan Legal before posting them here.

Fan Ages on the other hand is my own stuff.

Please note: this does not mean we are porting over MOUL to another game engine. Simply me experimenting with some stuff, all though some of us have started up a project that we want to be Myst-Like.
However, IMHO, I firmly believe that Plasma is at the end of it's life. I'm sure a lot more can be done with it, but it would have to be rebuilt extensively to catch up with modern engines of today. It's also IMHO that if MOUL:a were to be ported over to say like Unreal's game engine, it would solve a lot of problems: License issues (of course Cyan would have to buy the license, so that puts a damper on the idea right there), Fan content (the UDK is completely free), and you can even build in it. Better yet, you can build things in Max, Maya, and Blender for it too (the last one being free too).

Unreal (and CryEngine for that mater) are fully supported and constantly being developed further by their companies (Epic Games and CryTek), so there is a way to actively submit tickets and problems and have them looked at.

And just a lot of other things. But, porting over MOUL:a is pretty much a pipe dream, as I don't see Cyan doing it, or letting us do it either.

However, being bored with Plasma and MOUL:a I have been having a lot of fun making things in these other Engines:

Neolbah Cave in Plasma:
[spoiler]

Same Place, but in Unreal 3.0:

Here is the Office in Neolbah in Unreal 3.0, was just working on this today. Notice the lighting: :D

Here are some shots of Serene in CryEngine:

[/spoiler]

For other images, check out where we are discussing our project and experiments:

http://forum.devokan.org/viewforum.php?f=18

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ohh, those are beautiful! You guys amaze me, your creativity and skill. Serene is REAL, and the Neolbah difference is incredible. I want to go to THAT Neolbah! Keep up the good work. We who cannot create and only enjoy the fruit of your labor, thank you, even if we don't say it enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Those light rays through the trees make me all happy inside. Those are simply astounding!

Those lights in the office there, are they using IES data or are they just being physically cast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:45 pm 

The lights on the walls are using the Emissive Chanel of the material to cast light. In otherwords: the static mesh object is actually being used as a light. Here's a link that shows you about it:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmas ... 20Emissive

If you scroll just a little ways down, you'll see the 2nd effect that I'm using with the globe on the desk. Translucent Shadows:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow, those are some nice effects. And that makes sense for the lights as well.

Very cool! If I find time then maybe I'll play around with that a little bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:44 pm 

Oh Wow! Cyan just got back to me on my images and videos of my other stuff. They said I can share with all of you on this forum!

Yay!

I'll post them after I get back from getting my son from school. LOTS of pics and some video links. I'll post them in this thread here.

Y'all are going to see Gahreesen and Eder Gira, and how they look in CryEngine. :D

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Andy

I've been watching some of this stuff on GoW and it looks really exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing further posts here, where I post rather than just lurk :D so I can comment.

Excellent news on the favourable response from Cyan too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:17 pm 

That's wonderful news, Andy :) I'm really enjoying how this experiment is unfolding.

By the way, if anyone would like to actively join in with the discussions over on the Devokan forum, set up an account there, send me a pm on the MOUL forum and I will activate your account asap. My apologies for the convoluted process, but it is an attempt to keep out spammers, trollocs and other nasties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm blown away, as with almost everything you're doing , Andy, haha ... You're a master ... :D

I've read about the Phoenix Project already a couple days ago (GoW) and was excited ...
It is good to follow your intuition and passion and seeing 'things' clear, realising and
recognizing the given limitations and then moving on gracefully and unswervingly,
avoiding to waste your talents and positive, cheerful disposition and energy ...

And when I look at those screens ... It is almost unbelievable that evolutionary leap,
esp. Serene looks almost real and sooo beautiful ... Go on having so much fun, Andy...
You're on the right track, if I may say this so bluntly ... And thank you very much for
always generously sharing all your treasures, the fruits of your arduous efforts ...:P

Ooohhh, yeah, Cyan!!! ... Just saw your post while admiring your pictures and posting
this here lol ... Can't wait to see what you're going to come up with and to follow your
progress ... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:38 pm 

Okay, here we go. First, I promised Cyan I would state the following:

The following images were used to test the viability of importing "Ages" into both Unreal SDK 3.0 and CryEngine SDK 3.0, and were performed on my own. This is not something that Cyan is doing, nor do they have any plans at this time to import MOUL / Uru over to any other game engine. None of the images you are about to see have their content (IE exported working "Ages" in those other game engines), distributed, but are simply an experiment resting on my hard drive.

That said, I also would like to point out that each "Age" that you see here, was done in just a few days each, so each are only WIP's and not final products.

I won't mind comments however, as long as their constructive please (I'm well aware that there are people out there that only prefer their Uru in Plasma, and that's okay for them).

Gahreesen in CryEngine SDK 3.0
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Videos for Gahreesen in CryEngine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GrDlbmZMjU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPD0z1jPhzo

Eder Gira In CryEngine:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Eder Gira Started in Unreal SDK 3.0:

[spoiler]
Image[/spoiler]

Edited to add a pic.

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh my!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Amazing stuff Andy. Keep up the good work. It's great to see it developing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

I said a bad word to myself when I saw that first Gahreesen picture. That is really astounding! I can definitely see the hard work that you've put into that, and it shows.

If these things get refined enough, it would be interesting to experiment (assuming the proper permission is given) and see how the game would feel in a new engine like that.

Eee... I just get all excited inside looking at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 pm 

WOW. Just, wow...

Excited!

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is astounding! excellent exploratory work! and in *days* ? Good Grief that is Amazing!! This certainly does Cyan's quality of work justice! This is the first I've seen to set the benchmark on my expectations for independently developed work on URU... and it sets the bar quite high.