It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132  Next
 Post subject: Re: CAVCON Meter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:20 am 

In the past, Cyan has refused to share the exact server cots. I can't remember why.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:03 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

For many reasons, but partly because it could influence how people donate, e.g. trying to donate more that they can realistically afford. Also, the server cost varies depending on usage, but the overall cost is more than just the server leasing - Support need to book time that they spend on MOULa rather than "paying work" (so consider that e.g. asking Cyan Support to do trivial things for your own pet project might adversely affect CAVCON for everyone).

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:12 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
Support need to book time that they spend on MOULa rather than "paying work".

So giving the dollar figures for this, may hint at the salary of Cyan employees, this would be a privacy issue.

Mac_Fife wrote:
so consider that e.g. asking Cyan Support to do trivial things for your own pet project might adversely affect CAVCON for everyone.

This is something we need to keep in mind.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:07 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:
For many reasons, but partly because it could influence how people donate, e.g. trying to donate more that they can realistically afford. Also, the server cost varies depending on usage, but the overall cost is more than just the server leasing - Support need to book time that they spend on MOULa rather than "paying work" (so consider that e.g. asking Cyan Support to do trivial things for your own pet project might adversely affect CAVCON for everyone).

If donations are high enough there could be enough to cover employee wages that are lost due to working on Moula. But as they are not saying then we'll never know.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:11 pm 

I think you may be missing some of what I'm saying. It is a known fact that some of the CAVCON donation fund is necessarily used to cover the time that Cyan employees spend supporting MOULa, not a hypothesis. That was the reason that new account creation was closed down for an extended period: Support was spending an unsustainable amount of time dealing with bogus/malicious accounts (I was in discussion with Cyan on the subject at that time and know exactly how much time was involved).

So, if CAVCON is in a state that is not giving Tony concern, then it is reasonable to infer that donations are sufficient to cover the server running costs and associated personnel costs.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Been too long since we've seen an up-to-date Cavcon...Even the sign-in screen shows us nothing...I guess 'no news' is good news, however, it would be nice to see (hear) something on this issue?

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:57 pm 

The last update I got, on January 25th, was that CAVCON was at 2.3.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:14 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
The last update I got, on January 25th, was that CAVCON was at 2.3.

January sounds about right. But which year? CavCon has been 2.3 for many many month before the message disappeared.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:27 pm 

That was last month - I just happened to be chatting to Cyan on an unrelated topic and the CAVCON figure came up in conversation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:17 pm 

I think the important thing is no matter what our individual concerns, to continue to offer cordial and sincere support for the ongoing existence of the Cavern from Cyan, and to have faith that they do their very best for us all. The overall fate of the Cavern depends on this I feel and that is our strongest showing of support to just keep the faith.

Things may happen to allow changes in the future and allow more development to the Story and the Cavern itself, Fate is like that, with Faith such changes are more likely and more possible :)

Dr CrisGer

"We Build Worlds"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:51 am 
Obduction Backer

So if the CAVCON is at 2.5, Cyan is losing money on Uru?

Due to some quite big life changes over the past two years I've been away from the Cavern, however I am now in a position to return. I plan to contribute to CAVECON again but - at least at first - it may only be between £5-10 a month (approx $6.60-$13.20US).

I realize it's not much, but I hope it helps at least a little bit.

Ki #00324282
Exploration Journal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Welcome Back Lehnah!
It's always great when folks return.

According to the definitions in the first post in this topic:

Quote:
CAVCON 2: Donations are less than MO:ULagain expenses, and we're currently using the reserve fund to help pay for MO:ULagain expenses.

except that the actual CavCon level hasn't been updated in awhile so the situation could be better... or worse.

Under any circumstance we're all thankful for whatever donations you, or anyone, can help with.
Don't forget to come by The City and celebrate this wonderful game and community with us.
<wave>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Henry. I'm downloading the installer as I type this so I'll be in the Cavern either later tonight or tomorrow after work. :D

Ki #00324282
Exploration Journal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Don't mean to start a firestorm but...I'm wondering if there will EVER be an update...No news is not good news in this case. Ever since RAWA got sick and Obduction got funded, we have not heard a word about MOUL(a)II...Even the sign on screen is wonky...Knock Knock...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:22 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Given the well-established analogy of CAVCON to the Lake Light Meter (aka R2D2 or Laxman's Dalek), which measured the state of the lake algae or the related pellets, and which eventually was revealed to never get updated, I'd say that life imitates art and the story seems to follow Cyan, or Cyan follows the story, even when unintended.

The big question then was whether the feedback changed the results, causing spikes (the horror!) and anomalous social behaviors, such as the Pellet Challenges and donation drives. But the lights seem to stay on in both worlds whether we know the numbers or not, despite what Schrödinger (or his feline assistant) might have to say about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132  Next