It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:29 pm 

WHO AM I KIDDING?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... &term=myst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL4mfS_d2U0&t=181s

Go on ... you know you want to ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:36 pm 

Backed! :D (Couldn't bring myself to the Collector level, but went with Writer).

Shouldn't be a problem to reach the goal; it's already 25,000 USD after less than an hour!

We love you Cyan!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

yup! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:49 pm 

I'm so happy that the first Myst game I played, Myst III, is back with Cyan.
I backed to Maintainer level ... probably the closest I'll ever get to a real linking book!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:54 pm 

All 25 Collector levels are sold out already! :shock:

I hope they have prepared some more reach goals or extra stuff, by this rate they will have the current target reached in no time at all... (360 backers already!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Stretch goals don't really make sense for this kind of kickstarter. Essentially all the money is for physical rewards, and you can see on the KS page that most of the backers are signing up for physical rewards. So overshooting the goal doesn't mean "extra money". If they hit twice their original goal, their costs are twice as high.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:10 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I'm #332.

Alien wrote:

Technically speaking, I don't think so. The wording of "legal rights to make all of the Myst games available" sounds more like acquiring a limited license to sell, and perhaps only in this format included with the games they do own and not separately, rather than acquiring ownership. But for your purposes, sure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:44 pm 

How comes that we always have to rely on people telling us news like this instead of an offcial thread by Cyan? :|

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
You could follow them on the more modern social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter and get the news first hand directly from them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:36 am 

Alien wrote:

JWPlatt wrote:
I'm #332.

Technically speaking, I don't think so. The wording of "legal rights to make all of the Myst games available" sounds more like acquiring a limited license to sell, and perhaps only in this format included with the games they do own and not separately, rather than acquiring ownership. But for your purposes, sure.

Yeah Ok, so saying it is back with Cyan is a stretch, my apologies for that, but that Cyan are able to do this makes me happy.

cpt-jericho wrote:
How comes that we always have to rely on people telling us news like this instead of an offcial thread by Cyan? :|

Blame / thank Youtube's suggestion algorithms. I watched the above linked video, came here and couldn't find any posts on it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:41 am 
Obduction Backer

The minimum funding level (about $ 250k) has been reached in almost 8 hours! :shock:
Now begins the really interesting part : let's push it to the stars so Cyan has enough cash to make its Magic again and bring us more new and wonderful worlds to explore! 8-)

#Myst25

[url=http://myst-aventure.com][img]http://myst-aventure.com/-grover/image/sig-moul.gif[/img][/url] [url=http://ufo-3d.fr][img]http://ufo-3d.fr/ufo-3d-350x75.png[/img][/url] [url=https://polystudio.shop]PolyStudio[/url] MAhmtee Bevin KI #123057

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

They're almost $100K over the minimum!!!!! I'm a Maintainer

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:29 pm 

In response to the, 'it'll all be eaten up by the physical reward costs' statement...

I doubt it.

I suspect there's an extra margin of some amount on all tiers pricing wise that can assist Cyan with completing Firmament well, doing whatever last-minute work still needs to be done for the Myst III/IV update and launch, and, heck, doing whatever other Myst related or non Myst related projects they think are worth doing.

That's what makes sense for them to do.

And the digital-only tier, obviously there's no physical reward involved, and I didn't even do that (for now) - I pledged $12 with no reward involved and may raise it later. There may be other diehard but cash-strapped fans like me who would like to see Myst III & IV available but who are not in a position right now to spend $165 on a working Myst book, no matter how amazing that looks. (Much less a $1k piece of historically significant Riven concept art)

If you're concerned that I only backed with $12, well, I also just sent another few dollars to the MystOnline fund, because people might tend to forget about that when a KS is going on, plus I fully intend to complete my Myst game collection on Steam with a purchase of digital version of Myst III and IV when they are released.

So I am definitely supporting Cyan. They're amazing. Plus, it seems to me that the more support they get on this KS, the better Firmament will turn out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I suspect there's an extra margin of some amount on all tiers pricing wise

Yes, that's probably true. But it isn't necessarily a *big* margin. That is, it's probably still true that *most* of the money is going to produce the physical rewards.

And to the extent that they have a margin, it's money that they've budgeted to keep the company running. If they divert it to add a stretch goal, that's literally money coming out of Cyan's pocket. It just seems like a bad option.

(The only exception would be if they think of something with no marginal cost -- a digital asset. But the $169 tier *already* include digital goodies, so it doesn't seem likely that they'd add more.)

Quote:
Plus, it seems to me that the more support they get on this KS, the better Firmament will turn out.

I really wouldn't try to connect Firmament to this KS at all. If they were saving this money for Firmament, they would have said so up front.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tentatively, I am Backer 2225. :wink:

Toki #00084908
TOKIO #02973205