It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

By the way, the topic will come back a while ago ...
I and my sister became Backer, can we play the MYST series? :?
Because our computer is Windows 7!! :lol:
(Moreover, it is a laptop personal computer!! :lol: )
I am Writer and my sister (Chihiro) is Bookmaker.

Toki #00084908
TOKIO #02973205

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:20 am 

Its to bad we never got a kickstarter going for fan made age's. A little financial incentive may have actually served to hasten the whole processes

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:18 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Heh, all things require time we don't have, including launching a Kickstarter.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:24 pm 

Still, despite this not being a 'conventional' Kickstarter campaign and Kicktraq not really being applicable, it went really well, and quite frankly I'm astonished - it's amazing that this raised $2.8 million.

By the way, with regards to Karkadann's post about financing fan content:

I have a plan in development for a Myst fan film, among other efforts.

I think it was first mentioned on FB, but the gist of it is that any sales of Miniature Multiverse made in the fifth week of its release would be dedicated to additional Myst fan content from me... and potentially also other fans.

So... it's a long story, first off, I have an old fangame originally made with Adventure Maker, that isn't Win10 compatible, due to the fact that the last AM update was almost a decade ago, headed for rerelease in full real time 3d, rebuilt using the Unity 2018 engine.

And a few small fan ages in development - the most substantial having been Sevkor, now no longer in any way official - which would be released in a form that is compatible with MOULa from a technical standpoint, though meeting the standards of Cyan and the fanbase for inclusion is another matter altogether. At the very least, though, I'd imagine they'll end up on some Uru shards.

I've abandoned asking Karkadann to assist as I now think I can get all the critical things done in Korman on my own, interaction wise. Kudos to Adam Johnson for developing such a promising toolset.

I know little of this stuff is currently visible online and I've been mostly quiet about this, but I'll make it a point to post more material related to the effort periodically over the next 3 months as release approaches. A lot of what I've had was in a half-finished state, and it's only now that substantial chunks of the work are being done and in good, polished state, and could be shown publicly. I don't want to hype this too much until all the interactions are nailed down, though, and at this point I've solved about 85% of the core functions, in my own limited, bumbling, 3d-artist-but-not-a-good-programmer way, and if I can find solves or at least workarounds for a few remaining challenges, at that point I'll be confident that all of the content will *work* and be more confident about showing it.

The aim was to launch on Myst's 25th anniversary but not sure if I will get it all ready in time, and might have to push the release of some parts of the content back to October [in some cases] but nonetheless, it's going fairly smoothly.

I am pretty sure some of the material at least will be posted by late September 2018, and hopefully, it'll all be online by November.

So there's all of that, which is happening, but as you all know I'm a busy person with a ton of unrelated projects, and one of the big ones now is 'Miniature Multiverse', which is not a Myst fangame, but IS a first-person panoramic node-based puzzle/adventure with a fairly sizable scope [Over a dozen worlds, but most of them pretty small but still well over a hundred nodes and more than a dozen puzzles] and as you'd expect from the title, the locations are built with physical miniatures [usually digitally extended with 3d sky] and panoramas captured within said miniature worlds - with digital extensions matched to the position of each node. By the time I launch it, I'll have poured roughly $1400 into it, including various tests, iterations, model-building supply items, camera gear, etc.

That is likely to be done by January 2019, but might be as late as March. When it's released [I plan to launch on Itch.IO, the Humble Store, and Steam] I'll make the revenue from every fifth week of sales, not just week #5, but every 5th week, a thank-you to the Myst fandom.

What that'd mean:

-$2800 or close to that, raised would mean a Myst feature-length fan film posted for free online for any and all to view, which I'd write, direct, edit, and do all the post work/VFX work on. I'd cast with a handful of unknowns, from my personal contacts. These are people I can count on to be reliable, but they're not professional actors, so just recognize that performances would be somewhat uneven - given the constraints of the shoot and experience of the cast - but I'll direct this as well as I'm able to. Likewise, production methods would be cheaply done from a Hollywood point of view, but pretty solid by fan film standards. We're talking about a half dozen sets built, various props and costumes, and location shoots augmented with digital and a few large and small scale, scratchbuilt miniature elements. Often these are environmental in nature and designed as set extensions. I've got my movie outlined, I know how I would approach this, making a story that is accessible to newcomers but hews closely to Myst's mythos, and includes a ton of nods to fans of the series that are likely to fly right past newbies. As a DIY filmmaker with 18 years of experience making indie films, I would work on this for a few hundred, likely a thousand, hours unpaid and it'd show in the result - a movie that looks far more expensive than it actually is. Part of the key is no salary, and aside from that the other key is shooting digitally - modern high-definition digital video is cheap and not as cumbersome as film, it's flexible to edit and work with, and it makes it possible to do far more from a production POV with a lower budget, than was done on famous Hollywood low-budget feature films like 'Primer' [$5000] 'Following' [$6000] and 'El Mariachi' [$7000]. That's not to say those didn't have merit - but they were done with old tech, film, that consumed a large portion of those budgets even with a smaller 16mm film format. I'd prepare the sets and assets required, then shoot the thing, then work on the post side of it, editing the content. It'd be released in the form of ten episodes, online, each about 9 minutes long, over a span of ten weeks probably around the end of 2019. That content will afterward be merged into a single feature-length video. So, in a sense, this would be both 'TV series' and 'movie'.

What happens if under $2.8k is raised during week five?

Well, if things are going well enough on other weeks, and the total is anywhere near the goal, I might put a bit of the other weeks' cash to fill in the gaps. Otherwise, I'd just wait until week 10 or 15 and see if the amount increases. Eventually, I would hope that it'd work out. And after it does, I'd be open to giving the rest of the sum earned after the $3k mark, to fund software and training materials for other fans, to help them learn to make fan ages. I did this once before, years ago, at the GOW website, handing out a bunch of training materials to others in the fanbase to the tune of $200.

Why would I trust you to do any of this? Why would it be worth supporting a fan-run campaign of any sort? Didn't you screw up your initial work with Sevkor? Didn't you claim a 'boost' to the Cyan KS campaign's traffic that then fizzled, on May 4th?

Well, I only am asking for a budget of $2800, which is a thousandth of what the Cyan KS just raised. So I think it's good value, especially considering you'd be funding this by buying an adventure game in the first place which will be pretty breathtaking in its own right. As for trust, all right, I get that I've made missteps in the past. So just watch - if the Myst fan game and fan ages are posted by the end of 2018, and Miniature Multiverse goes live in early 2019, that will demonstrate a certain degree of credibility and a capacity to get things done on my part. After that, it's up to you to decide whether given that information, you'd like to back a Myst fan film. As for the other failures - Sevkor's not dead, but you're right that I made some poor technical decisions with light baking, and that I suffered a setback with a failing HD. I did nonetheless manage to recover and rebuild the age, and I'm going through the process of assembling and outputting it on my own without Karkadann's help... and you'll see that that is the case before 2019. And as for the May 4th thing? I ran a $20ish banner-ad campaign the first 15 hours of May 4, 2018, which was reasonably well-targeted and was actually successful in being viewed by 250k people globally as claimed. Unfortunately, banner ads are largely ignored these days, so just because 250,000 people saw the ads, doesn't mean that many clicked, in fact the number of people responding to the ads by clicking them that day, wound up being only around 860, and of those likely only a dozen or so backed Cyan's KS that day, not enough to cause a noticeable uptick in activity as I'd hoped. I do think it helped draw attention to the event but it was admittedly ultimately mostly ineffective at boosting the financial success of Cyan's Kickstarter campaign. My recent failures were more in the 'technical weak spots' or 'poor optimization' category than any actual ill will. Nonetheless, I recognize that I have on occasion disappointed everyone here, and I'll try to make up for it now.

Bottom line: Just wait and watch. If I can get the fan content released by year's end 2018, and Miniature Multiverse released by early 2019, it's a good indicator that something exciting really is going on here... and that I can likely be considered a die-hard Myst fan [fanatic?] who really could deliver on a feature length Myst fan film.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:52 pm 

matthornb wrote:
I've abandoned asking Karkadann to assist as I now think I can get all the critical things done in Korman on my own, interaction wise. Kudos to Adam Johnson for developing such a promising toolset.

Dude I thought you bailed, and I was not about to publish Sevcor without you. Now that I think of it I did have some ideas about a few sitting regions, kickables, and a some odds and ends for the skydivers I wanted to run by you unfortunately I never had the chance and it would mean altering the invisible crash barrier but again I did not want to alter your mesh or texture without your approval I know how much work you put into it, remember I still have the first draft collecting dust on an external hard drive somewhere.

Keep in mind the first time I heard about my involvement in Sevcor was from this post https://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=390882#p390882 Next thing I know im being contacted by Cyan asking me to sign up for a FACL :shock: I just assumed because I was working on Matts age I was gonna be working under his FACL. after Matt left I tried working on AV animations but no one was able to figure out how to add them. then I tried making a fan age library out of the bead age which never went over very well. This whole situation has been a video game within itself, and its one I never asked for because I never thought of my ages as being good enough for Cyan but as the old saying go's "to many cooks spoil the broth." Matt, you know what your age needs more then I ever will, If there is something you think I can help with don't hesitate to ask

On the lighter side of the news Adams Kormen does look promising however I think its still in the early stages of development, it should have most if not all the stuff you need to finish Sevcor.

Good luck Matt
its nice to see the fan made ages still may be a possibility

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic

Energy = Milk Coffee 2