It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:46 pm 

I wonder if Cyan has any plans to do anything with Moula for their 25th. Anybody heard any rumors, hints???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:09 pm 

As a co-arranger of a few events, I have always sent an invite to the CYAN HQ so
they could come [if time & day of the week etc. permits] and join us in the fun.

IIRC this was done already at MYST 20 Anniversary, Cyan 30 Years and every other
anniversary in between those. And yeah, sometimes they have come and joined us
and took part in the fun, dances and music... and sometimes not. But I'm not sure
if they themselves had any big parties. At least, I've never heard any rumours of it.

This though is a bit different milestone, so I think that the Community should arrange
something special!? And maybe we can get the Cyan'tists to come, too. Who knows!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:23 pm 

m.a.x.2.0 wrote:
As a co-arranger of a few events, I have always sent an invite to the CYAN HQ so
they could come [if time & day of the week etc. permits] and join us in the fun.

IIRC this was done already at MYST 20 Anniversary, Cyan 30 Years and every other
anniversary in between those. And yeah, sometimes they have come and joined us
and took part in the fun, dances and music... and sometimes not. But I'm not sure
if they themselves had any big parties. At least, I've never heard any rumours of it.

This though is a bit different milestone, so I think that the Community should arrange
something special!? And maybe we can get the Cyan'tists to come, too. Who knows!

Not quite what I meant when I posed the question. I was wondering if Cyan were planning any updates or adding new content to Moula.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:35 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

lspace wrote:
I was wondering if Cyan were planning any updates or adding new content to Moula.

You'll have to ask the fan developers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 am 

This also crossed my mind, to see how well the 25th anniversary campaign has done not only reminded me of how incredible this fan base truly is it’s also gave me hope that another restoration could be possible, once it hit 110% of funding I even thought about how a kickstarter for MOUL could possibly go, will it happen? Probably not, but this makes it seem possible :)

And by the maker I know for sure I would back it :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:10 pm 

Don't wait for an Uru Kickstarter to materialize.

Back Uru now with what we currently have in place.

The Cyan staff has, for the most part, admitted that they are in some sense cutting their losses on Uru - leaving it as it now is - and will be very unlikely to ever run an Uru Kickstarter. I have chatted online with a couple of Cyan staffers about this - including Eric A. Anderson, when he was actively involved as art director on Obduction, and he said Cyan staff didn't think there was any good reason to ever do it because Uru has failed to find a wider audience so many times and is still barely limping along funding-wise as MOULa despite MOULa having had 7+ years to gain momentum, with still, only a fairly small group of players really actively supporting it and keeping it going.

The donate page on this website funds MOULa specifically, keeping it running and (ideally) adding new updates over time. Sadly, there's never been enough going on there to make much happen, but it still could work well if the fanbase was determined to make that fund grow over time.

I, for one, just sent another in a long list of smallish payments over the past 7 1/2 years, to the MystOnline fund on the 'Donate' page even while the Kickstarter was active (I also backed the Kickstarter). I am still hoping Uru can grow, maybe that's delusional but... I still want it to happen. And I'm still, mostly quietly, working on some fan ages, using Blender with Korman, Photoshop, and some other scattered plugins, software, and utilities.

I think if the MOULa fund climbs high enough it will not only surprise the Cyan staff but force them to reconsider their perception of Uru as a creatively meaningful work that failed to find more than a niche audience, and a disappointing release that almost bankrupted their studio.

If they are taken aback by Uru's growth, given what they've said regarding the MOULa fund, well, it is directly and totally dedicated to Uru, maintaining and ideally expanding and improving Uru.

But I suspect that even if all the active Uru supporters pushed their support further, it would not be quite enough - and of course, that means we need a larger number of people interested. Given Uru's age as a game, it's not easy to make that happen. Maybe, however, the Kickstarter will help make people a bit more aware of the series in the first place and remind them about "that old 'Myst' game I played on a CD with one of my first desktop computers", and let them realize that there have since been way more Myst games than the first and most famous one from '93.

Let's start with not just backing the 25th anniversary KS but using it as an opportunity to remind the wider world of the Myst series.

Here's a draft of a poster I'm working on for the KS campaign, anyone who wants to is welcome to print it out, and post it somewhere public IRL that is appropriate, and public events where you have legal permission to post it or hand it out, or maybe even add their own suggestions for alternate versions, that might improve the message?:

Here's the full resolution version, aimed at 8.5" by 11" paper at 200dpi.
In other words, it's 1700 by 2200 pixels. Probably not good to post in this forum!
http://www.mystfanart.org/myst-poster.jpg

I cannot post things like this poster on telephone poles, etc, in Houston, TX due to local anti-littering ordinances. There are fines associated with violations of this ordinance. So check your city's local laws before doing anything of that nature. Some urban areas have similar rules on the books. Some do not.
I recommend if you are going to do something like that, and it's allowed, that you use a clear packing tape to attach the pages to the relevant surfaces, and go over the entire surface of the page, not just the edges, to keep the paper from being ruined by the first rain that hits. An alternate DYI waterproofing solution for the center of the page might be rubbing the paper and coating it with a thin layer of cheap beeswax, which adds a waterproof coating to it and might be a bit cheaper but more labor intensive.

Beyond the poster art and animated GIF banners, I have my own strategies to make this 25th anniversary KS gain momentum - once which could perhaps cause a noticeable uptick in support on May 4, and another, maybe much bigger boost on May 20, near the end of the campaign, but that later plan especially, may or may not work out at all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:53 pm 

very good points you make there matthornb! :) maybe we can promote the game some how and the 25th anniversary may be a good occasion to.

I'll be donating to the Uru whenever I can and let me tell you I don't think It's delusional at all hoping this game will grow, I hope it does too and I believe it has a lot of potential especially keeping in mind how popular games like firewatch and even obduction have been recently.

Myst is one of my all time favorite games, series and universes and I'll always love Uru for allowing me to share the world with the community and anyone else I introduce so I hope it never dies!

and that's an awesome poster man, looks really good! I'll print out some copies :D

Shorah!

PS. awesome to hear you're creating some fan ages, I've wanted to delve into this myself but not sure where to start, i own blender but haven't learnt how to drive it yet :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Let me put it to you this way: My nephews both enjoyed Myst, Riven and Exile, and just a few weeks ago, were very surprised to discover there was a Myst Online. With his permission, I recommended one of my nephews to the Facebook group.

As I've said before, I doubt that the problem is a lack of interest in MOULa. I still believe that there are a lot of players out there who would love to join MOULa, but don't even know it exists.

It's still the best-kept secret on the Internet.

So... how do we make the public more aware?

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Good question, difficult to answer. MOULa has been reviewed by MMOHuts, The Escapist, Engadget, Giant Bomb, LFGryph, Massively Overpowered, Gameranks; has been the subject of various Let’s Plays and First Plays (A, B, C, D, E, F) and Twitch Live Streams (A, B, C); and has a page on MMORPG.com.

A while ago I wrote a sort of introduction for people coming from other MMOGs, but it isn’t that useful, buried in the forum’s back pages :lol: A big problem is explaining what ‘endgame’ is here and how it works.

I guess all we can do is talk about it (in a non-pushy way) beyond our small circle, and keep in mind that it’s a genre many gamers aren’t interested in.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Get tweets from the GoMe.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:05 am 

I agree that MOULa is a "best kept secret" that many would probably enjoy if they just knew about it. So, doing what we can to spread the word is a good idea.

I also think there is a bit of a Catch 22 going on, because so many of the loyal fans I talk to rarely log in anymore, and aren't really interested in doing so until/unless there is new content, but I am convinced there never will be new content if there isn't a healthy and sustained number of active, regular users, as well as donations. So, on the one side there are fans who would be interested - but won't be active in Cavern to show and prove interest, and no justification for new content without such proof of enough interest to support it and make it financially viable.

So, I really wish more fans could be convinced to log in regularly and spend some time in Uru, and help the Cavern have a vibrant community IN Cavern, as well as donating as able.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:32 pm 

Rand did mention it and also stated it was free. So I wonder how many new players signed up after his AMA?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 pm 

I hope we have/will get some newbies! I've run into a couple who were either new or hadn't been in ages and were doing it again. So, that's good. Here's to a lot more!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:38 am 

once I get my hands on the digital codes for the myst games from the kickstarter I was actually wanted to stream all the myst games back to back as a charity stream with all proceeds going to myst online, I have some youtuber buddies to help me promote it but ill have to start advertising it soon to get some awareness, of course if I make nothing thats ok too because I'm still going to be donating SOMETHING no matter what, I'll keep you guys updated if you want to come and join the stream :)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:07 pm 

Da'vid wrote:
once I get my hands on the digital codes for the myst games from the kickstarter I was actually wanted to stream all the myst games back to back as a charity stream with all proceeds going to myst online, I have some youtuber buddies to help me promote it but ill have to start advertising it soon to get some awareness, of course if I make nothing thats ok too because I'm still going to be donating SOMETHING no matter what, I'll keep you guys updated if you want to come and join the stream :)

That's a great idea Da'vid, I'd love to watch. I'll keep my eye out for info on when :D

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:36 am 

I know i am new here , but my partner and I try to promote Myst Online as a great way for 2 people to play together at the same time. Like couch co op I guess. We really enjoy seeing each other and playing together. We kind of stumbled along until we found Sven and Nora, then it started to click. I know we will be promoting the game and we supported the Kickstarter also. I'm sure any help would be good. I must remember to check back here often and make sure we donate too.

Keeping fingers crossed