It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Previously Unknown Lore
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:40 am 
Obduction Backer

I haven't seen a thread discussing this yet, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

As I'm sure you all know Cyan released some of the Uru design documents as part of the M25 Kickstarter. In reading these some new information about not only the Ages but also some characters is revealed. Specifically, I'm thinking about Kadish here.

From Uru we know he's a bit of an egotistical mean person/people, however, what is revealed in the Kadish Tolesa design doc is that...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
...the bulk of his wealth did not come from his gallery store, but rather the sale of black market Books. His store was basically a front, albeit a successful one. He actually had knowledge of Veovis and A'Gaeris' plans but rather than alert authorities, he instead prepared Kadish Tolesa as a place to escape to when things went down. It sounds as if this was originally going to be a safe place for his family, but as he acquired more possessions they came more important to him, thus housed with wealth in the Age. In fact, when the Fall did happen he abandoned his family to be with his possessions.

This is a fascinating look into Kadish as a character, and I think really changes the way you look at his Age when exploring it.

However, as much of this information doesn't appear in-game, I wonder if it can be considered official canon?

Personally I think it can as this was clearly Cyan's intentions for the character, even if they never did implement it into Uru before it closed (it's possible this info could have been revealed at a later date had Uru continued).

Something like the Gate Puzzle (also in the Kadish doc) can't be considered canon as it's something we should be able to physically see in-game, but it was never implemented. However, this info about Kadish himself can be seen as simply new information that was not previously revealed and thus can be considered canonical.

What do you guys think? As I reckon I think it makes Kadish all the more interesting but I'm keen to hear other's thoughts.

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive
Exploration Journal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree: all this (Teledahn, Sharper, Kresh/D'ni relations!) is too good to neglect. Unless something's been contradicted or obviously changed, I'd want to put it in the same category as background information from any other source.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:46 pm 

That definitely sounds like the type of character, yes, so I'd say it's quite likely. Plus I like the idea.
With that said, "canon" is a dangerous word subject to interpretation; unless someone from Cyan staff validates the idea I'd avoid the word entirely for fear of being whipped :)

Interestingly enough Teledahn's design doc also depicts Sharper as a really bad guy, while in Uru his journals don't make him look that bad (IIRC).

Have you read the Ahnonay one too ? (my favourite). Specifically...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
In CC it is revealed Kadish built Ahnonay, and one puzzle element is even shared between Kadish Tolesa and Ahnonay, IIRC.
However, among other interesting things, in the design doc the author of the Age is not mentioned by name (he is only referred to as "The Engineer", which is also the case in the game files). He is said to have finished his life exiled in Ahnonay in an attempt to make up for his arrogance of believing he was the grower.
Thus originally Cyan intended those to be two different persons; Kadish finally replaced the engineer as an afterthought. And I think it's a rather good choice, too, as it fits the guy. Although one could debate that it's too bad dropping the part about Ahnonay being unstable, but I guess this was more of a time constraint than an actual choice. Ahnonay's final area is rather unfinished.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:06 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Deleted or unused scenes in film are not canon, even when fully rendered and scored. The same is likely true here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

See also viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29048 for discussion ;-)

The Kadish story sounds nice. But there are also fan theories that Kadish thought he was the Grower, was revived by Yeesha and actually killed Calam (who is mentioned in Myst V). The reason for this speculation is the mysterious empty vault that you can link to.

So it could also very well be that Cyan later on changed the backstory of Kadish to become more part of the Bahro/Yeesha storyline. But that's all very much speculation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Erik wrote:
The Kadish story sounds nice. But there are also fan theories that Kadish thought he was the Grower, was revived by Yeesha and actually killed Calam (who is mentioned in Myst V). The reason for this speculation is the mysterious empty vault that you can link to.

Yeah I don't buy that theory myself, doesn't really work with the timeline.
Plus the Kadish she "saved" isn't "our" Kadish it was a Kadish from an alternate branch as indicated by the changes in design elements to the Vault.

Plus if Yeesha had gone back in time to save Kadish who was our Kadish then our Kadish would not be in the vault for us to find in the first place, indeed we wouldn't even be aware he died originally. Timey wimey and all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:01 am 

Bah, in my canon, Bahros are Hello Kitty fans, because it fits my interpretation of the word "canon" :shrug: Sarcasm aside, I don't care for canon, the word itself doesn't make any sense.

Personally the time-travel theory is the most inventive I heard, and it matches with my opinion of what is possible (aka the annoying "suspension of disbelief"). Good for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:43 am 
Creative Kingdoms

The Vulcan Science Directorate has determined that time travel is impossible not fair.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

@Tweek, hmm, good point. Still the question remains, what's the story behind the alternate vault? Especially since it was slightly changed between URU:CC and MOUL (the torn scraps of paper IIRC) it has got be something important.

And the thought that we might never find out what it was all about, is almost unbearable. :lol:

I do hope Cyan will eventually bring closure to some of these loose ends, preferably in a new game. ("Cautious optimism")

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Erik wrote:
I do hope Cyan will eventually bring closure to some of these loose ends, preferably in a new game. ("Cautious optimism")

I hope to be alive for that release... #DiehardfanCyan

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:00 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
The Vulcan Science Directorate has determined that time travel is impossible not fair.

Haha ! A good point, to be honest. In this case it doesn't bother me much, but in most sci-fi movies I can't help but roll my eyes whenever time travel is involved. It's like, "it's possible because magic". Rather unsatisfying.

Erik wrote:
@Tweek, hmm, good point. Still the question remains, what's the story behind the alternate vault? Especially since it was slightly changed between URU:CC and MOUL (the torn scraps of paper IIRC) it has got be something important.

I would really enjoy hearing about it too. The only other explanation I can think of would be someone modifying the original Descriptive book without altering the existing Linking books, which would somehow link to a version of the Age in which Kadish never linked, which means the Vault wasn't emptied, but simply never filled, which would be a nice twist. However I fail to find a purpose to that...

Erik wrote:

Personally I think I would be a bit disappointed if the explanation was too simple. I wouldn't mind well-done closure, though. This second vault mystery is like a big puzzle which is missing some clues, I'd rather solve it myself with some new clues than have someone open it for me. Not that I'm really good at puzzles, but you know, wondering is fun.
Looking back, that's something I rather enjoyed with Uru (and PotS in particular): some parts of it can't be solved in a single day. Ahnonay's sphere puzzle and the Path of the Shell in the Watcher's pub are both so convoluted yet simple you'd have a hard time figuring those out by yourself, and it might take you days. The same goes for some elements of the story. This might simply be clumsy design, but I still think it's rather appropriate for an MMO you're supposed to play over the course of several months.
Riven had very good puzzles which were part of the environment and scattered all about, which means you'd either miss those entirely or wouldn't know which puzzle to solve first.
Uru on the other hand decided to give you a single locked door with a puzzle just beside it, self contained in the Age, and just let you bang your head against it. While in some cases it simply didn't work (Kadish's puzzles were rather bad IMHO), in other cases it was really interesting and rewarding to solve. The alternative vault feels a bit like this kind of puzzle to me...