It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:25 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:27 pm 

Ok. I just had SOMEONE, I won't name names because they know who they are, send me pictures of Dereno and IT ISN'T EVEN OUT YET!!!!!!
This person didn't ask if I wanted them, and I didn't ask for them! I want to be able to see things for the first time for myself!!!
This has REALLY made me mad! This spoils the whole experence of waiting, wondering, and then finally finding out for myself what the new age is like!
It takes a lot to make me mad, but this really [ticks] me off. If I had wanted to know, I would have checked the forums and asked around in the cavern! Since I didn't, I didn't want to know!
Thanks for spoiling the joy of discovering for myself!

Any typos in this post is due to extreme irritation and lack of caring to go over this post and make myself mad all over again. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Lynnutte on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:38 pm 

That a shame... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Honestly I would report this to the ResEngs. As a Greeter we have it drilled into our head not to spoil the discovery experience. The same should go for everyone. Ask when you want hints, clues or outright help. Don't just blurt the solution.
kb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Agreed, I tend to says something like "Oh hey I found a new discovery, can send images to those who want to see, please PM me"

Shooting them out into the ether is just wrong IMO, its like going "OMG I LIKE SAW THIS HIPPO IN KADISH!" over the neighbourhood and/or buddy chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:16 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:53 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I have received some uninvited pictures from Dereno. I have also seen people on my KI's recent list IN Dereno. I was reporting both to ResEng's at first. But the ResEng's have taken to saying there's nothing they can do. It's disappointing. I can only assume that because Dereno did appear briefly as a valid link in the game, they can't treat it as an offense. In the absense of action from authorities, my only suggestion is to make social pariahs out of the people who knowingly spoil it for others. Make them feel the shame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:00 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
I have received some uninvited pictures from Dereno. I have also seen people on my recent list IN Dereno. I was reporting both to ResEng's at first. But the ResEng's have taken to saying there's nothing they can do. It's disappointing. I can only assume that because Dereno did appear briefly as a valid link in the game, they can't treat it as an offense. My only suggestion is to make social pariahs out of the people who knowingly spoil it for others. Make them feel the shame.

Exploiting a bug is exploiting a bug. We've been told this often before ever since people starting using ingame mechanics (i.e, superjumps) to get to where they shouldn't be, so why should visiting Dereno AFTER you've already been told that it is unreleased content be any different? Look at how many of us were told to turn off our dock pages because the bahro stone appeared before it was actually turned on and yes we were told to turn off the page until the bahro stone was officially released. Dereno hasn't been released yet (or may have as of this writing), but continued trips to it before it is released should be considered an exploitation of a bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:00 pm 

you can put you ki on receive KI mail and PM's from buddies only (click on the gear, its under the KI font size sliders)

might cut down on the amount of spoilers you accidentally get. but you it does both at once. bso you cant get PMs for non buddies either.

personally, i think they should be separated....

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:20 pm 

Actually, from other threads, it appears that Dereno WAS released to the public today. I am not at home so cannot verify this right now, someone please verify?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:38 pm 

Malia wrote:
Actually, from other threads, it appears that Dereno WAS released to the public today. I am not at home so cannot verify this right now, someone please verify?

Dereno was released, though of course it's still annoying having things spoiled for you. :(

knottyboy wrote:
As a Greeter we have it drilled into our head not to spoil the discovery experience. The same should go for everyone. Ask when you want hints, clues or outright help. Don't just blurt the solution.

Agreed. In fact, the cavern would be a much better place if everyone actively applied The GoG Code of Conduct, regardless of whether or not they are a Greeter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

What might be a good solution to this problem is a way to only accept images from buddies on your list. Maybe we should ask for some new bells and whistle on our KI's.
Cheers,
kb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:07 pm 

Quote:
AFTER you've already been told that it is unreleased content be any different?

Yet again, I say,

Any content that has been downloaded, is released. Doesn't matter if there is an "ingame" way to get to it or not, it doesn't matter if a ResEng comes by and tells you it isn't released yet -- the moment its downloaded, the content is released. Cyan knows this. It's not a secret.

I say this because some people seem infuriated that a few people could gain access to what they consider "unreleased" content a day or two before the rest of us.

Seriously, chill out. Your not a ResEng. It's not your job to inform them of people getting into Dereno because the game itself let them. For most bugs, there's no way to know its not supposed to happen, and people shouldn't have to. We're not in Beta anymore, it is not the responsibility for players to "double check" whether something is a bug or not.

-and for the spam-spoiler-ness. Yeah, bonk the guy on the head for being mean. Thats just not nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:14 pm 

Maxsilver5721 wrote:
Any content that has been downloaded, is released. Doesn't matter if there is an "ingame" way to get to it or not, it doesn't matter if a ResEng comes by and tells you it isn't released yet -- the moment its downloaded, the content is released. Cyan knows this. It's not a secret.

Wrong definition!
A piece of content is released when it's enabled on the game server. The game contains stuff that isnt' released but already downloaded on your hard disk.

We were warned by Greydragon that accessing or distributing content that isn't officially released my lead to database corruption and/or a ban from the server. If you got access to a closed area by mistake or bug - shame on the programmer. But if you still use or distribute content that is known to be access through a bug - SHAME on you.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:22 pm 

Quote:
A piece of content is released when it's enabled on the game server

And again, Dereno (a few days ago) was available on the game server (even if someone turned it on by mistake)

Quote:
We were warned by Greydragon that accessing or distributing content that isn't officially released my lead to database corruption and/or a ban from the server

And again, that's completly meaningless because most players dont know who GreyDragon is, or whether content is "officially released" or not.

And my definition still stands. Content is _released_ when it hits the hard drive. Yes, its against the terms of service. Yes, it ideally shouldnt be accessed until Cyan as a whole, decides to enable it. But realistically, you'll never, ever, stop people from accessing data you've just handed to them. Getting worked up about it doesn't help anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:45 pm 

Maxsilver5721 wrote:
And again, Dereno (a few days ago) was available on the game server (even if someone turned it on by mistake)

The content wasn't turned on by mistake. People abused a bug to get the content.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next