It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:23 am 

One Explorers experience in the Pods
Pod Ages Walkthrough
Negilahn, Dereno, Payiferen, Tetsonot

As I stand in front of the linking books I see a great journey awaits me. In the museum, there are two pieces of paper: one a map; the other is a chart showing the unbelievable size of the animals I may encounter.

Image Image

I quickly link to the first book I can get my hands on. I end up in a place called Negilahn. I can’t see out the windows, but I see a large crack on the top of what appears to be a “pod” of some sort. As I climb down the ladder to the first landing, I hear the scariest sound I have ever heard; the sound makes me think of that chart in the museum, and I quickly wonder if that animal that I hear caused the crack in the pod. When I reach the lower level I notice buttons and a large switch on the opposite wall. First things first, I flip the large center switch, WOW, look how beautiful it is outside! Lush green forest, amazing plants, but no wildlife to be seen. I spend a good hour looking outside, pressing buttons nearest the windows and see what I can only describe as spotlights but still no wildlife. Even after pressing the buttons nearest the power switch, which seem to be animal sounds coming from the speakers inside the pod, I realize there is much more to this place than I first thought.

Image Image

Time to go back to the museum and see what the other books have in store for me. As I walk to the Nexus book The DRC has left, I notice one more thing, a symbol on the floor. I have seen this symbol before, it is a D’ni number. I snap a quick KI shot before I leave and back to the museum I go.
Image Image
The next book I pick up brings me to an unbelievably cold place, my KI tells me Dereno. At first glance I have a spell of deja vu. It is the same, well except for where I am. The windows are frosted and I hear unfamiliar sounds but the layout is the same. There is a center landing with two ladders going up to observation windows up top. Down on the lower level the same switches and buttons. Again I flip the power switch and again I am amazed! This pod is half under water and I see fish! Not just small ones but large fish, they could be mammals, but I don’t know; all I know is this place is beautiful. I spend less time in this pod, less than an hour goes by and I snap a quick KI shot of the number and link out.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
The next book I pick up brings me to Payiferen. In a kind of disappointed way I take a quick look around, and I realize that again I am in a pod, with no way to get out and explore the area outside. Why is the DRC doing this? I understand their safety concerns, but releasing areas that are so small? I feel like there has got to be more to this. Downstairs I turn on the power, but still I cannot see what is outside real well. It’s dark and there seems to be a huge sandstorm going on outside and that must be the reason I can’t see. As I go back upstairs to see if the windows on the top level are clear, I see something I didn’t see in the last two pods, four round disks on the floor with symbols on them. What are those I ask myself? I try kicking them but they don’t move. I stand on them, nothing. I spend a good 20 minutes trying to figure out what I can do with them and I guess I need more information. The last book I think to myself, the answer must be there!

Image Image
Image Image
As I pick up the last book I notice that the picture is almost all black. When I link in I am frightened. It’s dark, really dark! I cannot even see my hand in front of my face. A red light blinks, but hardly enough to even get my bearings. I can see the Nexus book for a brief second, but that is it. I am cold and wet. I am almost up to my waist in water; I can’t see and the only sound I hear is the creaking of the pod itself like it is about to buckle, and dripping water. Is there a leak?! Am I going to die here? As I wade through the water, I pray I am in a pod, much different than the last one I linked into. There must be a power switch; I need to see where I am! As I orient myself with the Nexus book I walk slowly towards the back wall. I feel around and I find the switch! But wait, I’m up to my waist in water. Throwing caution to the wind, I flip the switch; what!?!? A brighter red light starts flashing, but it is very hard to see. As I look around, for the first time, I am truly happy to be in a pod. Knowing that it is at least somewhat closed, I know I am a little safe, but it is leaking. I go upstairs and look but nothing. At this point all I want to do is link out, but I remember I need some pictures. I snap a few KI shots to document my travels and get one of the number on the floor and quickly link out.

Image Image
Image Image

As I head back to the museum I am thinking, did I miss something? Did the DRC release these ages for us to simply visit and look out windows? Where is Yeesha? There must be more to this.

As I get back to the Museum, I remember the map. Where was I; can I find out? Now that I was there in the ages, what more is there to learn? After examining the map more closely, I see something. In the top right of the screen there is a picture of a pod. I cannot read D’ni, but I remember the symbols in the pods; there must be a relation. I see it: the D’ni numbers are on the map, and they must be the number of the pods. After some closer examination, I find the location of three of the pods, all but Payiferen. I forgot to take a picture of the floor. I was too caught up in the disks in the floor to remember.
No better time than the present to go figure it out. I walk over to the book and link.

When I get, there I am amazed! There is light! As I look out the window behind me, I see four beams of light piercing through the window. I have never seen a light so intense. Thank god I found these goggles at the Cleft! Again, I am happy to be in the safety of a pod; the wind is whipping and the light outside must be severe. As I head for the ladder to get the KI shot that brought me here in the first place. I notice something amazing, the four beams of light look like they may match the disks on the floor! Can it be this simple? Yeesha, I think, may be showing me something. So I plant myself next to the disks on the floor and wait to see what happens. What seems like an eternity goes by. The beams get closer and closer to the disks on the floor, until I notice something amazing: the disks, they are glowing! I sit and watch as the first beam touches the disk, but nothing happens. Light hits the second disk farthest away from me, again nothing. As the light hits the third and fourth disk, I hear something! Nothing like I have heard before! What is it?! It’s coming from downstairs! As I run I am afraid for what I am going to see, is it Yeesha, a Bahro? I almost fall off the ladder, I am so excited! When I get downstairs I see one of the most amazing things I have ever seen! A glowing, a most magical thing. I am at a loss for words. But then disappointment, it vanished! What was that?! When will it come back, will it come back? I notice now that I am standing on the one thing that brought me back here, the number of the pod. I snap a quick picture of the number and link to Relto to think about what I have seen.
Image Image
Image Image
In Relto, I go back over the pictures I have taken and I notice something. The map of the age that I found in the museum and the picture of the disks in Payiferen, there looks to be a connection. I labeled the islands to go along with the pods, seeing that I can’t read D’ni that is the best I can do. I found the numbers of the pods on the map and if I look they seem to be a pattern. What if the beams of light hitting the disks indicate when that thing appears in the pods? I will go back to Payiferen tomorrow to see.
It is tomorrow, well today now and here in Payiferen, but the sun has not shown yet. The time here must not be the same as surface time, but how off am I? Did I miss the sun or has it not come up yet? I need to go find a clock, one that shows D’ni time, not surface time. I know there are some Bevins that have a clock, now which ones? Looks like I’ve got some exploring to do.
I found a clock! In LDS explorers bevin, there is a clock. As I snap a few shots of it I don’t know what it means, but now at least I have a point of reference. Also in the bevin I meet a nice explorer, and I explain that I am looking to learn more about D’ni time and he reminds me there is more information in the classroom. Thanks! In the classroom I find a sheet of paper that explained D’ni time much better than I thought it would. I grab a shot of it and head back to Payiferen, which seems to be the place I need to be.
Image Image
As I sit in this sand swept pod and ponder what I am actually doing, wondering if I’m on the right track, I see it: light. Much later than it would have come on the surface, but it is here! Thinking back to yesterday, I know I have a long time to wait so I again look at my data, countless KI shots, maps, notes, but what does it all mean? Ah yes, the pods, they seem to be in some what of a pattern that resembles the disks. If I look at my map, they seem to almost align with where the disks are on the floor. I remember that the light touches the disks, not all at once, but in an order. First all the way to the right, which I have labeled Tetsonot, second all the way to the left, which I have labeled Negilahn, third is the disk that I labeled here Payiferen, and last the top most pod Dereno. Can this be it? I sit and wait to see if the thing reappears here in Payiferen. Again the sunbeams trace along the floor, seems much slower this time but it must be because I have high expectations. As the disks start to glow, I go downstairs in expectation of that thing appearing again. I almost fall asleep waiting and just as I almost to go upstairs to see if I was wrong about the whole thing, I hear it! Those magical noises, then I see it, the glow! The spiral appears! Beautiful! It looks even better than before! In a panic, I run into the spiral and I link away. I wind up in a Bahro cave, but where is Yeesha? The voice I have become so fond of, not here again?! I see more floating stones and my instincts kick in. I turn around to see a new symbol on the wall that looks like the image on the disks in Payiferen; I press it and one of the stones melts away. I know what I need to do. I jump into the void and link to Relto.
If my theory is correct, I will need to get to Dereno quickly. Thankfully, I have the book on my shelf; in alarm, I run and link away!

As I wind up in Dereno, I run downstairs expecting to be amazed once again. Nothing. I sit for an hour but to no avail. I must have missed something. But what?!
Image Image
It has been a few days since I was down in the cavern exploring and I have had some time to think about what I need to solve this mystery. The “portal” in Payiferen is obviously showing at the same “time” every day but not surface time. I need to learn more about D’ni time so I can find out when the Payiferen portal will show. I have studied the map and I see there are obviously time zones on the map, but the D’ni numbers I know only go as far as the numbered pages in the book in Relto. Where can I find more numbers here? As I explore the cavern, and the bevin, it hits me: the classroom! I remember seeing numbers there, along the ceiling. When I get there, I am relieved, my memory serves me right! Along the top border of the classroom, I see the D’ni number system. As I look, I see some familiar numbers and I count up from there. I got it, 13 time zones! But how will that help? I go back to Payiferen to see of the sun is there again.
Image Image
Image Image
Nothing. When will it be back?! There is no change of daylight in any of the other pods, so I need this to see if my theory is correct.
Image Image
It has been days of checking to catch the sun in Payiferen, and still nothing. Someone must know. After a couple of days of checking I get extremely frustrated! Why?! I guess I need some help here, the Guild of Greeters are a smart group if people, maybe I should go there to see if anyone there knows. I speak to a gentleman named Kon’Dor, a very smart guy I think he really knows his stuff. He tells me the next time the sun will be in Payiferen is tomorrow about 10:30 KI time. Looks like I got some more waiting to do.

He was right! I am here in Payiferen and the sun is here! I have a point of reference. After spending some more time looking at the map and my D’ni time chart. I figured each time zone is equal to one “Pahr-Ta-Vo” or one hour, thirteen minutes surface time. That means that the portal comes every 15.816 hours. So if I am right, the next portal to open will be in Tetsonot shortly after two hours and 26 minutes surface time, actually a bit after that because seeing that the pod seems to be in the middle of the time zone. I will show up in the two hour and twenty six minute mark just to be safe.
Image Image
Well I had some surface stuff to attend to, I couldn’t get there. My calculations tell me that a portal should show next in Negilahn at about 12:30 KI time; I hope I’m right.

Success! I showed up at 12:00 KI time and another portal appeared! In a different spot this time. I wasn’t expecting that! I was downstairs and I thought that the portal would come downstairs; that Yeesha sure is tricky. So I noted that the portal actually showed at 12:40. Amazing how close I got! Again in the cave, there was no sign of Yeesha; I am starting to wonder if I am still on her journey or not. I can’t be bothered with that right now; the next portal is to show in Dereno in another hour, I need to keep moving!
Image Image
Image Image
In Dereno, I forgot how cold this place is. I still have a little while to wait for the portal to show, the wildlife here is truly unbelievable. I sure hope Sharper finds out what is happening to all the animals in Negilahan. I have my theories, but we will see. The time I calculated is approaching; I sure hope I’m right.
Again success! The portal keeps changing locations though. Thankfully I was looking out the window on the bottom floor or I may have missed it.
Image Image
One more pod to go, and I am not looking forward to this one. Tetsonot is a scary place. Again, the DRC assures us that it is safe and it passed all the tests, but I’m still a bit unsure of it. My calculations tell me that about four hours from now, a portal will appear. I hope so; I don’t want to be there longer than I need to.

Cold, dark and wet, the only way to describe this place. I am standing on the bottom floor, waist deep in water next to the ladder, I don’t want to have to come back here. I wish there was more to say about it, but that’s all I can come up with. I hope that it shows quickly, I’m actually quite scared. Yes! I hear it! Not down here, It must be upstairs. I climb the ladder faster than I ever have, and to my amazement I see it. In front of the window. I have never been happier to see one of these things before!
Image Image
Image Image
In Relto, I give myself a pat on the back. I have done it! I need to share this experience with others, but how? There is really no way to describe it, the feeling you get when you figure something like this out. I just hope others can appreciate what I have gone through, and I hope the same people will experience this for themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:03 am 

WOW! :shock:

Well Done! *Gives Yellowdog a well earned pat on the back*

Ad'ytum - MO:ULagain KI#11466138
Don't make me get the flying monkeys!
A towel (an Umbrella?), is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:15 am 

Well done Yellowdog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:14 am 

Wow Yellowdog, that is extremely cool! You actually solved the puzzle the way it was meant to be solved, using the clues and askng other explorers for help when in doubt.

And thanks for sharing. I wish I'd been as patient as you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:26 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Hats off to Yellowdog for showing us how it can be done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

I may or may not have stated before that I think the way the pod ages were rolled out was flawed. we were given the ages first, and the clues later. Thus, lacking the designed method for solving the age, the hundreds of live players 'forced' the puzzle. I somehow doubt this is what Cyan intended to happen, but it's hard to believe that they'd expect everyone to just 'give up' until they finished rolling out the clues.

If you're going to gradually release stuff, the clues should come first.

Last edited by Nadnerb on Thu May 17, 2007 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:33 pm 

I put this together not to tell people how they should solve the puzzle, but just showing how one (me) solved the puzzle even after spoilers were presented to me while playing the game.

I do not want this to turn into a this is how its to be done thread, actually I thought it would be nice to read and enjoy. :P

It was a rewarding experience...
Please if you like it enjoy it...

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I really enjoyed putting it together and I would like to know your thoughts on it.

Cheers

Last edited by Yellowdog on Thu May 17, 2007 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:38 pm 

I personally enjoyed it a lot and I think it was brilliantly written but my only pointer would be to add whatever may come from the last part of this age into your guide whether or not it helped you solve the puzzle...perhaps we don't even realize the full puzzle ;)

Thats my two cents and sorry about all the off-topic stuff and glad to see you took it well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

I did enjoy your journal of your pod journey, It's just the sort of thing I like to read, and I enjoyed being able to make stuff like this with the ingame tools from myst 5, for instance. I'd love to see more 'journals', but at the moment, there aren't many ages to 'journal' about, besides the old ones.. which have been journaled (word?) to death. :D perhaps when that new age comes out... :)

Last edited by Nadnerb on Thu May 17, 2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:09 am 

Extremely well done and also well written.

A standing ovation is certainly in order for "Yellowdog".

Last edited by Zinful on Thu May 17, 2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:51 am 

MickBell wrote:
...none of these opinions can be completely validated until the last part of the Pod age has been released anyhow...clearly Cyan wouldn't make a whole extra part of an age and hold its release unless it had some meaning.

...my only pointer would be to add whatever may come from the last part of this age into your guide whether or not it helped you solve the puzzle...perhaps we don't even realize the full puzzle ;)

What "part of the Pod age" are you talking about MickBell. As far as I am aware, these four pods are all there is. That might change long term, but I don't think there are any short term plans to release any additional areas. Yellowdog's walkthrough is complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Mod note:

"Right way/wrong way" argument removed... some posts deleted... some posts edited. Since (in my opinion) Yellowdog, Skrir, and others were NOT implying anything regarding anyone else's method for "solving" the pods, the argument had no place here.

Please resume pleasant discussion.

:)

Last edited by Reverend Vader on Thu May 17, 2007 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:23 am 

Right, I wasn't implying anything. I myself solved the pod ages by reading about them here on the forums and then downloading the portal calculator that someone (sorry, I don't remember your name - can't find the thread) created a while ago.

So when I said I wish I'd been as patient with the puzzle as Yellowdog, I really meant just that. :D

I enjoyed reading the journal, Yellowdog, and I hope you share more of these in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Very enjoyable "journal" Yellowdog. Can't wait for your next one! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for your account Yellowdog, well done! :D :D
There is of course no right or wrong way to solve the puzzle, but by solving the puzzle this way, you really deserved those wedges on your Relto.

That's how I wanted to solve it as well, but I couldn't resist the major spoiler threads here at mystonline. :( But I'm going to try doing Minkata wholly on my own without spoilers. I haven't seen the coming soon pics, I guess that's the first step. :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next